Our New Ceramic Friends

Recently Target started displaying this awesome ceramic horse head:

I’ve been crushing on it; I think it would look nice on our fireplace mantel. Only I am not ready to splurge $25. Thankfully, Jeremy and I came across these bookends at the thrift store one weekend:

Despite being different colors, they are identical in shape. I hypothesize that they are from one of those paint your own pottery places. One was $3.43 and the other $2.42 ($6.20 total after tax). Our plan is to paint them the same color.

The black horse had a piece of felt hot glued to the bottom. It needed to be removed for painting.

That hot glue was not leaving without a fight. I used an x-acto knife to slice off the glue. It took a while, but I finally got the bottom cleaned.

Then I took the bookends to the garage for priming. I used the primer from our ceiling fan project. We placed the horses in a drawer from a broken IKEA dresser, in a corner of the garage.

Here are the horses after a light dusting of the primer.

After a coat of the primer they are starting to become indistinguishable from one another. Once the horses were good and primed, we painted them Valspar’s Luscious Green (~$5).

It took several coats to cover the horses completely. There was lots of rotating to get in all the crevices. The snouts are particularly difficult to paint. Once the paint cured, I attached new felt to the bottoms.

The bottoms were cut from a 29 cent sheet of felt (hooray!). I tried attaching the felt with hot glue, like the previous owner. That was not very successful, so I used spray adhesive instead. I sprayed a light coat onto both the bottom on the bookends, and to the rough side of the felt. I then pressed the felt firmly to the bookends, and let them dry upside down (as pictured) for a few hours.

Here’s a finished bookend on our built-in bookcase. He fits nicely on that angled shelf, and coordinates well with the other green elements. Although the middle picture frame is more olive in color, the horses tie-in with the frame and art on the other two shelves.

Here are the two bookends working together to hold up our video games and movies. I think the green looks great with the white and dark grey.

Although the bookends are not as glossy as I had hoped, I still love the color. This project was fairly cheap ($11.49), and has satisfied my ceramic horse craving (for now). Who knows, maybe that Target horse will join our green friends one day. What about you, are you loving the green? Do you also have a crush on ceramic animals?

  • Anonymous

    I like the color! That looks like the same color Nancy and I used for our monkey bathroom.

    • http://thenewestvegetable.com Monica

      The green is very similar to our craft room as well. Can’t get enough of it :)

    • http://thenewestvegetable.com Monica

      The green is very similar to our craft room as well. Can’t get enough of it :)

  • Anonymous

    Found you on houseblogging. LOVE these horse bookends! The color is unexpected/bold/awesome! Nice find. Of course I want a pair now, hunt commence..

    • http://thenewestvegetable.com Monica

      Thanks, we were very lucky to find them! I am glad you like the green.

    • http://thenewestvegetable.com Monica

      Thanks, we were very lucky to find them! I am glad you like the green.

    • http://thenewestvegetable.com Monica

      Oh, and I found a bunch of this same type on Etsy. Here’s the cheapest set I saw: http://www.etsy.com/listing/53921446/ceramic-horse-head-bookends

  • http://www.thenolaruth.com/ Megan

    Great thrift find, as bookends, I like yours better!  And the green looks like a jolly rancher or something else candy like and delicious!

    Megan
    http://www.thenolartuh

    • http://thenewestvegetable.com Monica

      I don’t usually have such good success when thrifting. The color green was “luscious” maybe they should revise it to “delicious” :)

  • Pingback: http://timowhit22.edublogs.org/2012/11/28/-/